Phil’s workplace experience has seen him acting in accidents that have occurred in factories, construction sites, schools and shops.
Phil, who is a supervisor of a team of lawyers in our Leeds office, has been successful in claims ranging from minor injuries to workplaces fatalities and is known for the relationships he builds with clients at a time of considerable personal stress. He considers communication to be key and is proud of always keeping his clients up-to-date while working to achieve the maximum compensation as quickly as he can.
Phil is a keen runner outside work and a season ticket holder at his local football club.
Phil's case experience
Below are some examples of the cases Phil has acted in:
- Phil secured £575,000 for a young man who lost the tips of three fingers after they were jammed in a copper rolling mill. Phil fought a denial of liability by the employer and proved that, despite allegations to the contrary, his client hadn’t been properly trained and had no choice but to wear gloves due to the heat of the metal he was removing from the machine. Phil secured interim payments to pay for prosthetic fingers and pushed for meetings where a settlement was achieved.
- Phil gained £425,000 for a paramedic whose right hand was permanently disabled after being crushed between doors. Phil’s client couldn’t continue as a paramedic and although he managed to continue working for the NHS with the 111 service, it was on lower pay. Phil ensured that as part of the settlement the client recovered the wage loss he suffered.
- After an initial offer of only £40,000, Phil secured £177,000 for a factory worker who suffered burns to his leg when a faulty propane torch set his clothing alight. This was a particularly sensitive case due to the client having to undergo skin grafts and then developing a long-term psychological condition, meaning Phil had to get specialist medical reports while taking extra care to guide the factory worker through the legal process.
- Phil secured £400,000 for a client's injury and early retirement after a trip at work. Phil’s client injured his lower back which became more severe as time went on, leaving him dependent on painkilling medication.
- After a client was struck and run over by a fork lift truck at work, Phil secured a £100,000 settlement. The man, who was wearing all the required hi-viz clothing, suffered pelvis fractures and, despite several operations, suffered from long-term internal injuries. Phil painstakingly gathered the evidence to show that the site of the accident was badly organised.
- Phil also secured £100,000 for a healthcare assistant who was spat at by a patient and, after developing an infection, lost almost total vision in one eye. Phil advised his client, who faced further operations, to reject an initial offer of £40,000. With evidence that this was not the first occasion that this had happened, and that the Trusts protective measures had failed, Phil pushed the case to the brink of trial to achieve a settlement he considered fair.
Phil is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
“I would like to send a massive thanks to you for all you have done for me in the last five years and I wish you happiness and success in all you do.”
“Thompsons have been excellent in getting the compensation after we were all badly injured in a car accident four years ago. Without your help I don't think we would be feeling financially secure. A very big thank you to everyone involved at Thompsons.”