Prospect and Bectu
We work with Prospect and Bectu to offer members and their families a package of comprehensive legal services included as part of their membership. This means that Prospect’s 150,000 members working in agriculture, data and technology, defence, education, energy, environment, heritage and many more sectors, as well as Bectu's 40,000 members working in media and entertainment, can carry out their work safe in the knowledge they are protected if they are injured or mistreated at work.
Unlike high street firms, we only ever act for the injured or mistreated worker and never for employers or their insurers. Also unlike many other firms, you can rest assured that by bringing your claim through the union’s solicitors you will always retain 100 per cent of your damages payments.
Legal cover for Prospect and Bectu members
Our legal advice scheme covers:
- Rights at work
- Personal injury
- LegalLine telephone advice service
- Regulatory, professional and criminal law
- Discounted legal services through our solicitors on a range of other non-work issues
- Other legal services, such as:
- Clinical negligence
- Wills (for members based in Scotland or Northern Ireland, please contact the LegalLine for Wills)
- Criminal injuries compensation
- Welfare benefits.
Retired and unemployed members are eligible for most legal services. The exception is assistance over work-related issues – such as employment rights, workplace personal injury or regulatory issues – if these arise while they are paying the retired or unemployed subscription rates.
Prospect and Bectu members’ families
Most non work-related benefits, including the personal injury scheme and the LegalLine telephone advice, are also available to the member’s partner, spouse or any of their children aged under 19.
- Personal injury, serious injury and industrial disease or illness - including road traffic accidents, faulty equipment or non-work exposure to dangerous substances
- Free initial advice on clinical negligence (with special terms if there is a viable claim).
How to access help
Prospect and Bectu members can access their union legal service by calling the Member Contact Centre anytime between 8.30am and 6pm Monday - Friday on 0300 600 1878. Alternatively, you can:
- Contact your local union representative
- Email your full-time negotiator - if you do not know who your rep or negotiator is, phone Prospect on 0300 600 1878 or Bectu
on 020 7346 0900
- Email ProspectLegal@prospect.org.uk.
Through Thompsons Solicitors, Prospect and Bectu members can seek free initial legal advice on any non-employment legal issues on 0800 587 1278. The LegalLine is open on Monday from 9am-7pm and on Tuesday to Friday from 9am-6pm for general advice.