If any trade union members are concerned about medical treatment that they, or their families, have received, then there are a variety of places offering potential help and advice about clinical negligence.

Alongside Thompsons Solicitors’ committed medical negligence lawyers, the following organisations can offer official advice and information to help ensure people can effectively lodged concerns or complaints about medical treatment which fell below the expected standard or medical injuries.

The General Medical Council (GMC) is responsible for managing complaints about professional misconduct by doctors working in GP surgeries or hospitals. Their address is: 178 Great Portland Street, London W1N 6JE. Tel: 020 7580 7642.

The Health Service Ombudsman helps aid investigations, publishes reports, and makes recommendations to the government about activities undertaken by health authorities for the government. The Health Service Ombudsman only gets involved in situations where the NHS’ complaints procedures have already been exhausted, or in cases where it is deemed unreasonable to delay their involvement.

In England the address you should write to is: The Health Service Commissioner for England, 11th Floor, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP. Tel: 020 7217 4051

In Northern Ireland you should contact: Parliamentary Ombudsman and Commissioner for Complaints, 33 Wellington Place, Belfast BT1 6HN. Tel: 028 9023 3821

In Scotland please contact: The Health Service Commissioner for Scotland, 28 Thistle Street, Edinburgh EH2 1EN. Tel: 0131 2257 465

In Wales please address concerns to: The Health Service Commissioner for Wales, 5th Floor, Capital Tower, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff CF10 3AG. Tel: 029 2023 0785

The Patient's Association is an organisation which campaigns on behalf of people who feel dissatisfied with their NHS treatment. It can provide an important source of information and guidance for people concerned about medical negligence. To contact them, write to: 18 Victoria Park Square, Bethnal Green, London E2 9PF or call 0845 608 4455

Action for Victims of Medical Accidents (AVMA) gives advice to those whose clinical treatment has resulted in injury or illness. Contact them at: 44 High Street, Croydon, Surrey CR0 1XB. Tel: 020 8291 2793

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) independently provides guidance on the promotion of good health and the prevention and treatment of illness.

The General Dental Council is responsible for regulating the dental profession in the UK.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council was created by Parliament to ensure that high standards of care were delivered by nurses and midwives.

Medical Negligence Complaints