A clerical assistant has called for stricter monitoring of women receiving the contraceptive implant after she fell pregnant following the procedure.

Sarah Moss, 22, from St Helen’s in Merseyside only discovered she was pregnant when she gave birth to baby daughter Millie at Whiston Hospital on July 17, 2007.

Millie was 18 weeks premature and sadly lived just four hours before she died.

Sarah instructed Thompsons Solicitors to help her claim compensation from St Helen’s Primary Care Trust for her traumatic experience after a nurse at Haydock Family Planning Clinic failed to insert a contraceptive implant in her arm in June 2006.

Sarah has now called for women to ask for a follow up appointment when receiving a contraceptive implant to ensure that it has been inserted correctly.

Blood tests showed that the implant had never been inserted

Sarah, who has been in a long term relationship with boyfriend Kieran, 27, for four years decided to have the implant inserted because she thought it would prevent her from getting pregnant and give her peace of mind.

She wanted to ensure she had a good career and was financially secure before she settled down to have children.

When she underwent the procedure at Haydock Family Planning Centre she believed the implant had been inserted correctly. But blood tests later showed the implant had never been inserted.

Doctor sent her to Accident and Emergency

On July 17, 2007, just two days after her 21st birthday, Sarah went to the doctor complaining of cramps and bleeding. She was sent to accident and emergency when it was discovered she was pregnant and just a few hours later she gave birth to baby Millie.

She said it was a real shock to discover she was pregnant but as soon as she saw Millie she felt an overwhelming sense of love and knew she would be able to cope with a life with a baby.

Within minutes Sarah’s dream was ruined when she was told Millie would not survive.
The premature birth was caused by a medical condition.

She said: “I was in total shock. It had not really sunk in that I was having a baby and I felt as though I was in a dream.

“As soon as she came out and my mum shouted ‘It’s a girl’ I knew that it would be ok. I knew that my family and friends would support me. In that split second I had fallen in love with her.

“But then they told me she wasn’t going to survive. It was awful. Within seconds I had fallen in love with her and then they told me that she would soon be gone.”

Sadly, baby Millie passed away

Sarah and Kieron enjoyed four precious hours with Millie before she passed away. Sarah says she now feels devastated that Millie did not survive.

When Sarah returned to the family planning clinic to discuss what had happened she was told her implant would have to be removed. But after nurses could not find it on an ultra sound, a blood test confirmed it had never been in her system.

Sarah was referred to Thompsons Solicitors by her union Unison. Thompsons settled the claim with St Helen’s Primary Care Trust for an undisclosed sum.

Sarah said she decided to pursue compensation because she wanted the PCT to take responsibility for her pain and suffering. She was also concerned that if procedures were not changed it would happen to another woman.

She said: “I wanted the PCT to make sure no one ever has to go through what I went through. It is such a relief that this has now been settled.”

Clinical negligence specialist at Thompsons Solicitors, Birmingham office, Sarah Goodman said: “We are pleased we have been able to support Sarah who has been through an extremely traumatic time. She did all the right things to prevent herself from falling pregnant but her implant was never inserted.

“This young woman was told she was 22 weeks pregnant and then just a few hours later she was holding her baby in her arms and told that it would not survive. Those are words that no mother ever wants to hear.

“Sarah should never have been put in a position where it was possible for this to happen.”