The widow of a Kent man who believes he was exposed to asbestos while working at a cable firm is calling for his former work colleagues to come forward.

Frederick Collingwood, died aged 77 in September 2006. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a type of cancer of the lung following his death.

Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos and there is no cure.

It’s believed that Frederick, who left behind a wife, daughter and two granddaughters, was exposed to asbestos while working in a number of different jobs for British Insulated Callenders Cables Limited (BICC), later owned by Balfour Beatty Plc.

Exposed at the cable factory at the Erith Works, Church Manorway, Erith, Kent?

He worked in the cable factory at the Erith Works, Church Manorway, Erith, Kent from 1957 to 1959 and then from 1973 to 1994 when he retired.

During his first period of employment he was a machine assistant in the armouring department. He then became a welder and a finally a machine driver in the same department.

When he returned to the company in 1973 he started as a process worker trainee in the production department making supertension cables. He later became an assistant machine driver in the armouring department and then a machine driver in the same department.

Following his death Evelyn, 84, contacted asbestos claims experts Thompsons Solicitors for advice about claiming compensation.

Appeal for anyone who worked for BICC during the period 1959 - 1957 & 1973 - 1994

Evelyn would like anyone who worked for BICC at any time during the period 1959 to 1957 and 1973 to 1994 to come forward. Anyone with any information about the presence of asbestos in the working environment or who may recall working alongside Frederick in any of the departments he worked in may be able to help.

Evelyn said: “Frederick was very ill in the weeks leading up to his death. Mesothelioma is a terrible disease and it is affecting more and more people who worked with asbestos. We would like to find out exactly how my husband was exposed to asbestos and urge anyone who worked with Frederick or who was employed by BICC at the time to come forward with any information they might have.”

Gill Connelly of Thompsons Solicitors, added: “Mesothelioma is a devastating disease caused only by exposure to asbestos.

“It is important that we trace Frederick’s former workmates so we can build up an accurate description of his working conditions at BICC during the time he was employed there.”

Anyone who has any information should contact Gill Connelly on 0800 0 224 224.