An electrician diagnosed with fatal asbestos related cancer mesothelioma has received £140,000 compensation from his former employers.

The 71-year-old from Tile Cross in Birmingham was diagnosed in 2009 with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos.

There is no cure for the disease.

The father of two daughters and grandfather of six was exposed to asbestos whilst working as an electrician’s mate and then a store man carrying out electrical maintenance for van manufacturers in Ward, Birmingham. He worked for the company for 30 years.

Exposed to asbestos in boiler house

He was exposed to asbestos throughout the time he worked there in the boiler house and when installing new electrical cables.

He was never warned about the dangers nor given adequate protection from the dust.

Following his diagnosis he contacted his trade union Unite, which instructed asbestos claims experts Thompsons Solicitors to investigate obtaining compensation.

Thompsons settled the claim out of court.

Thompsons settled claim during his lifetime

The electrician said: “At the moment I am fortunately feeling well but I know what the future holds. I claimed compensation because I wanted to make sure my wife and family are taken care off.”

Gerard Coyne, regional secretary at Unite added: “Sadly many of our members are exposed to asbestos in the workplace and were never warned of the damage to their health it could cause in the future. Unite will support our members who develop mesothelioma to help them claim compensation from those who negligently exposed them to asbestos.”

Dave Fisher from Thompsons Solicitors said: “It was important for this family man to settle his claim during his lifetime. He placed great store on knowing that his family would be provided for in the future. I hope that by working quickly to conclude his case that this compensation will help provide him with some peace of mind and his family financial security.”