Unite member who was exposed to asbestos while working as a fitter has been awarded a substantial figure in compensation.

The man, 79, who does not wish to be named, was exposed to asbestos while working as a fitter for CEGB at Bold Power Station between 1957 and 1959.

He was also exposed to the deadly dust while working for Knowsley Area Health Authority from 1960 to 1987 as a maintenance fitter.

The man from St Helens was diagnosed with asbestosis in December 2005 after a CT scan to investigate his increasing breathlessness.

Asbestosis causes breathlessness

The man, who does not have any children, is now unable to carry out gardening, DIY or other jobs around the house due to his condition.

He said: “Asbestosis has left me breathless and I now find that I cannot walk to the front door without sitting down. I can no longer do the jobs I loved, like the gardening and decorating.

“Before I was diagnosed I would never have a tradesman in the house. Now I must rely on tradesmen to get the smallest of jobs done.”

The claimant contacted his union Unite when he was first diagnosed with the condition and Unite, through their lawyers Thompsons Solicitors fought to settle the claim.

Unite Regional Secretary for the North West, Laurence Faircloth said: “Asbestosis can be a debilitating condition often leaving victims unable to undertake the tasks and hobbies they used to.

“We are pleased to have helped our member to gain compensation after he was negligently exposed to asbestos in the workplace.”

Client representative for Thompsons Solicitors Joanne Candlish said: “Exposure to asbestos means this client now has to hire tradesmen to help him carry out everyday tasks. We are pleased we have been able to recover compensation for him so he can enjoy the benefit of compensation during his lifetime.”