A coroner’s inquest has concluded an ‘accidental death’ verdict in a recent inquest following the death of a former Birmingham train driver.

Abdul Rasheed Rehan, a 64-year-old father of four, died instantly when he was crushed between two train carriages while working at the Tyseley Depot as an employee of West Midlands Trains on 14 December 2019.

After leaving his own train cabin, he had been crossing the track to make his way to the taxi stop when, as he walked between two trains that appeared to be stationary but were in fact unbeknown to him in the process of being coupled, he was crushed.

His family were supported in the inquest, held at Birmingham Coroners Court, by social justice law firm Thompsons Solicitors.

Speaking about her father, who had been employed by West Midlands Trains since 1985, his daughter, Madiha Waheed, said: “Dad had worked in the railway industry for almost 35 years, first as a guard and later as a train driver. He was a well-respected employee and described by colleagues as a ‘true gentleman’ and ‘one in a million’.

“His passing has left a dark cloud in all our lives. Many of us in the family have been diagnosed with depression and other issues due to the trauma that we have faced.”

The jury heard evidence of how an investigation identified failings on the part of West Midlands Trains regarding the safety of drivers at the depot, as well as various other health and safety breaches. After Mr Rehan’s death, improvement notices were issued.

Karl De-Loyde, of social justice law firm Thompsons Solicitors, is representing Mr Rehan’s family throughout the legal process as they continue to fight for justice.

Abdul Rehan was crushed between two train carriages at work
Abdul Rehan was crushed between two train carriages at work

He said: “The investigation highlighted the lack of safety critical measures being implemented and adhered to.

“For this to happen in 21st century Britain is deeply worrying. It may not, sadly - given the lack of proper systems, the workload and busy nature of the depot at evenings and weekends - be surprising in retrospect, but it was a completely avoidable tragedy.”

Mrs Waheed added: “Without the support of Thompsons I am not sure what we would have done. They have truly helped us throughout a very difficult time.”