A man suffering from mesothelioma, an incurable cancer, because he was exposed to asbestos whilst working as an electrician, has secured substantial damages with the help of his union, Unite.

Employers neglected to follow safe working practice

The Unite member was exposed to asbestos in the 1960s and 1970s because his employers did not follow well-established workplace safety standards.

He was exposed to asbestos throughout his career. As an apprentice he laid cables in a basement where others were applying asbestos lagging to heating pipes. Later, working for a different employer, he was tasked with repairing gantry cranes where he regularly came into contact with asbestos dust.

Compensation will support member and his family

He contacted the Derbyshire Asbestos Support Team (DAST) and industrial disease specialists Thompsons Solicitors who acted on his behalf with the backing of his union, Unite.

He said: “I am so grateful to Unite for supporting my claim and to Thompsons for obtaining compensation that is so important for me and my family financially as we struggle to come to terms with my diagnosis.”

Legacy of asbestos exposure set to rise

Annmarie Kilcline, Unite the Union Regional Secretary, said: “Yet another of our members’ lives has been devastated by an employer’s flagrant disregard for workplace health and safety. The legacy of asbestos exposure affecting our members across the UK is only set to rise.

“Unite is committed to working with Thompsons to hold employers and their insurers to account, and to provide financial security for our members and their families in their hour of need.”