A new mum who suffered severe headaches two years after being concussed when she was hit on the head by faulty equipment at work has received a significant sum in compensation.

Kay Holt, 28, from Worksop was forced to give up her job as a warehouse worker for Wilkinsons Hardware Stores’ distribution centre near her home town as a result of the accident at work in November 2007.

Kay was building a roll cage, a type of large trolley with shelves used for moving stock, when the top shelf fell and hit her head.

Post Concussion Syndrome caused chronic headaches

She was diagnosed with post concussion syndrome which has left her with chronic headaches and fatigue.

Kay, who has an 11-week old son, Riley, was able to return to work four weeks after the accident but later found her condition was so bad that she couldn’t work and she was dismissed on the grounds of ill health.

Following her accident she contacted her union, the GMB, which instructed its lawyers Thompsons Solicitors to pursue a claim for accident compensation.

Previous Complaints about danger were ignored

Thompsons found there had been previous complaints about the roll cage and similar accidents had happened to two of Kay’s colleagues.

Wilkinsons admitted liability and settled the claim out of court.

Kay said: “The accident left me with terrible headaches, which could sometimes last up to two weeks. I would feel dizzy and everything would be in slow motion. It could be frightening when I had a bad turn. Fortunately I’m now fully recovered but it does not make up for the time I lost out on.”

Tim Roache from the GMB said: “Wilkinson’s failure to take heed of previous accidents with these roll cages was unacceptable and Kay has paid the price for that failure. Thankfully the GMB has been able to get some compensation for our member’s pain and distress, but with a bit of basic health and safety this accident could have been avoided.”

Leigh Thompson from Thompsons Solicitors added: “We are pleased to have brought the legal claim to a successful conclusion but this accident could have been avoided had more attention been paid to previous complaints.”