A labourer who had his foot and leg run over by a forklift truck and will never work in that role again has won £110,000 in compensation.

David Osmond, 58, from Usworth in Washington was left with multiple fractures to his left foot and ankle after a colleague reversed into him in February 2007. He never returned to work at Thompsons Technik in Houghton Le Spring and has been told that he will never be able to return to full time employment as a driver.

As a result of the accident he has to permanently use a stick.

The forklift truck's warning sound and reversing light were not working

The GMB member was loading pallets when he was hit from behind by the forklift. Neither the truck’s warning sound nor its reversing lights were working.

Mr Osmond was wearing ear defenders and didn’t hear the truck behind him. He sustained a severe crush injury to his foot and ankle which needed a skin graft and a number of operations to repair. He also suffered a fractured fibula and metatarsal.

Following the accident he contacted his union which instructed its lawyers Thompsons Solicitors to pursue a claim for accident compensation.

Thompsons Solicitors recovered compensation for injured worker

The case was complicated by his employers going into administration in February 2009 but Thompsons solicitors were able to secure damages after the employers agreed to attend mediation.

Mr Osmond said: “I had hoped to work until my retirement and despite Technik going into administration I would have got work.

“I now have to walk with a stick and know that I will never return to work. This compensation will help make ends meet.”

Val Scott from the GMB said: “Forklift trucks are extremely heavy vehicles which can cause severe injuries if not used properly or aren't kept in good repair. Regular inspection would have avoided our member being unable to work again.”

David Mole from Thompsons Solicitors added: “It beggars belief that nothing was done to fix this forklift's warning sound and reversing lights. If they had been working Mr Osmond would be working today.”